Monday, September 10, 2007

Day Six

We were down a scanner today, some staff opted to take annual leave, otherwise there would be too many staff and not enough work. Even so, it was still a slow day. I was able to see inside the scanner as the service engineer took it to bits. He took the time to explain to me what all the various bits of electronic entrails did, and I saw the ring of 32 scintillation crystals with their photomultiplier detectors. I took some photos of it in pieces, now I just have to figure out how to get them off my phone onto the computer!

I also helped with the QC this morning as Monday is the day for any weekly QC tests. I can do the PET phantom tests on my own now. Generally they allow me to do this and to draw up all the saline flushes for the day. I continue to be amazed by how inclusive this team are - they really are very generous and supportive. My supervisor arranged for me to sit in on a reporting session sometime and I'm going to see the cyclatron next week where the radioactive tracers are produced on site.

Tomorrow morning one of the reporting doctors is running a 'lecture' session on some of the interesting cases the team have indicated they would like to know more about - so i'm looking forward to that. There is also the second multidisciplinary lymphoma meeting tomorrow which I will also attend, I'm hoping that some of the patients I saw last week will be discussed. I'm following two patients who have recently been diagnosed with NHL to fulfill my learning contract objectives. One of the reports came back today and it's not terribly conclusive, so I'm now hoping the other one will be more suitable.

I'm writing notes constantly and have accrued a vast amount of new information in my head - I'm not sure I'm able to put it into context yet, hopefully the pieces will fall into place.

No comments: